Parasara-Madhaviya Reference

Donald R. Davis, Jr. drdavis at WISC.EDU
Thu Aug 7 14:59:15 UTC 2008

I am trying to track down a reference from Kane's History of
Dharmasastra to a passage from the Parasara-Madhaviya, specifically the
Bombay Sanskrit Series edition by Vaman Sastri Islampurkar.  My library
only has the Calcutta/Bibliotheca India edition by Tarkalankara.  Kane
gives the citation as Vol. 2, Part 2, pp.206-207 (Prayascittakanda) and
the passage in question from Madhava's commentary reads in part "nAyaM
doSaH prAyazcittArthavAdatvena tadupayogAt...."  I would like to read
the full context of this citation, but I cannot seem to find the passage
in my edition.  If someone who happens to have the Bombay S.S. edition
handy would kindly inform me which adhyaya this occurs in and/or which
verse it is commenting upon, I should be able to find the full
discussion in my edition.  Many thanks in advance for the help.

Best regards,

Don Davis
Dept of Languages & Cultures of Asia
University of Wisconsin-Madison