[Fwd: "Ten pomegranates" in Dharmakirti's Pramanavarttika]

Birgit Kellner birgit.kellner at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Mon Aug 4 21:02:45 UTC 2008

As it luckily happens to lie on my desk - Vincent Eltschinger's "Penser
l'autorité des Écritures. La Polémique de Dharmakīrti contre la notion
brahmanique orthodoxe d'un Veda sans auteur. Autour de Pramāṇavārttika
I.213-268 et Svavṛtti" (Vienna 2007: Österreichische Akademie der
Wissenschaften) contains a footnote on the passage in question with
further references: p. 102, n. 106. According to Eltschinger, the
example is widespread and can also be found at Śabarabhāṣya on
Mīmaṃsasūtra 1.1.5, Nyāyabhāṣya on Nyāyasūtra 5.2.10, Dharmakīrti's own
Vādanyāya (ed. Much, p. 43, l.14), and further in Jaina commentaries on
the Avaśyakaniryukti, see Nalini Balbir, "The Perfect Sūtra as Defined
by the Jainas", Berliner Indologische Studien 3 (1987), 3-21.

Hope this helps,

Birgit Kellner