viralikaa

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Wed Sep 5 16:19:08 UTC 2007

Jonathan,

You may want to watch out with the word "chiffon" in any case, in the interests of clarity and intelligibility across the English-speaking world.  I think the word means something different in India than what it means in the USA.  "American chiffon" is or used to be a coveted item for sari cloth.  But when on a friend's request I bought a sari length of chiffon here for his mother, it was not at all what they meant, which I was never able to clear up.

Allen

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D., Senior Reference Librarian
South Asia Team, Asian Division
Library of Congress, Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732; fax 202-707-1724; athr at loc.gov
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress.

>>> Jonathan Silk <silk at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU> 09/05/07 10:13 AM >>>

Dear friends,

In something now in the press, I have a passage in which the term
viralikaa occurs, a sort of colorful fabric. BR explains it as a sort
of porous fabric. Does anyone have a more specific suggestion as to
its identity? (The editor queried my translation as chiffon, which I
confess was a much a place filler as anything else...)

JAS
--
Prof. Dr. Jonathan Silk
Instituut Kern / Universiteit Leiden