help tracing a verse

Jenni Cover jenni.cover at URNET.COM.AU
Mon Sep 3 22:55:46 UTC 2007

Dear Madhav,

This verse is part of a chant that we learned and chanted  (svasti pAThaH)
as part of a 3 month Vedanta and Sanskrit course at Arsha Vidya Gurukulam,
Anaikatti (near Coimbatore), Tamil Nadu. The chant is also taught to
children as part of the Vedic Heritage program. (Ramaswamy, Sunita and
Sundar, Vedic Heritage Teaching Program (Vol.1 of 3), Sri Gangadhareswar
Trust, Swami Dayananda Ashram, Purani Jhadi, Rishikesh)

The full chant (NB If you can’t read this, and are interested, please tell
me and I’ll write it in a readable code):

svasti pāṭhaḥ

svasti prajābhyaḥ paripālayantām  | nyāyyena mārgeṇa mahīṁ mahīśāḥ  |

gobrāhmaṇebhyaśśubhamastu nityam  | lokāssamastāssukhino bhavantu  ||

kāle varṣatu parjanyaḥ  | pṛthivī sasyaśālinī  |

deśo'yaṁ kṣobharahitaḥ  |brāhmaṇāssantu nirbhayāḥ  ||

sarve bhavantu sukhinaḥ  | sarve santu nirāmayāḥ  |

sarve bhadrāṇi paśyantu  | mā kaścidduḥkhabhāgbhavet  ||

asato mā sadgamaya  | tamaso mā jyotirgamaya  |

mṛtyormā amṛtaṁ gamaya  || om śāntiḥ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ  ||

May there be happiness for all people. May the rulers righteously rule the
earth.

May there be welfare for cows and men of wisdom at all times. May all beings
be happy.

May the clouds rain at the proper time. May the earth produce grains.

May this country be free from famine. May men of wisdom be fearless.

May all be happy. May all be free from disease.

May all enjoy prosperity. May none experience sorrow.

Lead me (by giving knowledge) from the unreal to the real; from darkness (of
ignorance) to light (of knowledge); from death (sense of limitation) to
immortality (limitlessness, liberation). Om peace, peace, peace.

Warm wishes,

Jenni