help tracing a verse

Ashok Aklujkar aklujkar at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Tue Sep 4 00:39:08 UTC 2007

Somehow, Prof. Madhav Deshpande's inquiry had escaped me. I know the second
half of the verse he has in mind in this form: de;so 'yam k.sobha-rathito
braahma.naa.h /sajjanaa.h santu nirbhayaa.h.

At the beginning of my "An introduction to the study of Bhart.r-hari,"
published in Asiatische Studien/Etudes Asiatiques XLVII.1 (1993) =
Bhartr-hari: Philosopher and Grammarian. Proceedings of the First
International Conference on Bhartrhari, eds. Bhate, Saroja; and Bronkhorst,
Johannes. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, pp. : 7-36, I have cited the verse as
...  p.rthvii staac.chasya-;saalinii/ de;so 'stu k.sobha-rahita.h ... and
remarked in the associated fn: "I have changed the quarters 'b' and 'c' of
this puraa.nic ma:ngala ... My reason for accommodating the verbs staat and
astu is that without them the quarters fall out of step with 'a' and 'd,'
which contain var.satu and santu, and thus lack the force that benedictive
utterances should have. In a period of ecological concerns, regional
disturbances, and fundamentalist pressures being exerted on historians, the
vision of the ma:ngala is something that we should cherish."

Here, by puraa.nic" I mean 'something that the Pauraa.nikas recite while
concluding  the Puraa.na recitation sessions (usually lasting for a saptaaha
'week'). I have not yet actually traced the verse to a Puraa.na.

As a result of what I say in the second sentence of the cited fn, I now cite
the verse with pa.n.ditaa.h santu nirbhayaa.h.

ashok aklujkar