avagraha in Malayalam manuscripts

Asko Parpola asko.parpola at HELSINKI.FI
Sun Sep 2 19:35:50 UTC 2007

I have come across the avagraha sign at least once in Malayalam manuscripts.
The NellikkaaTTu Mana manuscript of Bhavatraata's Jaiminiiya-S'rautasuutra-
BhaaSya, which is a very large-sized and brittle old manuscript, has the
avagraha (rather similar to the devanagari avagraha, i.e. like S but angular
with two bends) on the reverse of folio 38, line 7, corresponding to page
84, end of line 3 in Premnidhi Shastri's edition (1966):  athavaaSstotra....
The avagraha which I have marked here with capital S clarifies the a
privativum in sandhi: atha vaa astotra....

Asko Parpola
Institute for Asian and African Studies
POB 59 (Unioninkatu 38 B)
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki, Finland