avagraha in Malayalam Manuscript

Kengo Harimoto kengo.harimoto at UNI-HAMBURG.DE
Wed Oct 3 21:33:46 UTC 2007

Thanks for bringing back the topic.  I have finally located the sign
best interpreted as avagraha in the manuscript(s) I used.  I think I
can finally fulfill my promise...

Scans are available at:

http://homepage.mac.com/kengoharimoto/avagraha1.jpg
"pañcaparvvaṇo 'vidyādīn kleśān"

http://homepage.mac.com/kengoharimoto/avagraha2.jpg
"tuśabdo 'vadh" (this is the end of the line, and continues
"āraṇārthaḥ".)

http://homepage.mac.com/kengoharimoto/avagraha3.jpg
"yogagrahṇe 'sati"

The second one is small and ambiguous, but the other two share a
distinctive shape; the shape described by Asko Parpola in the post on
September 2, 2007.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, these are anomalies.  It turns out
that these fragments all come from a single folio (folio 4 of the
manuscript of the Pātañjalayogaśāstravivaraṇa, perserved in the
Oriental Manuscript Library, Trivandrum, L. 662).  I could not find
any more (although I cannot claim that I have been thorough).

Now that I have scans of the Malayalam manuscripts I have used, I
will try to submit them to Indoskript.

--
kengo harimoto, NGMCP