avagraha in Malayalam Manuscript

gruenendahl gruenen at MAIL.SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE
Tue Oct 2 10:59:36 UTC 2007

This may be a little late, and not really to the point:
One Malayalam print of a Sanskrit text that actually notes avagrahas,
I.C. Chacko's "Paniniya Pradyotam" (Ernakulam 1955), uses what is
known as the florin symbol in typography. This suggests to me that there
was no Malayalam sign available.

For specimina see:

www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/temp.htm

from where you can download

temp2.zip

which contains some TIFFs from Chacko's book, with avagrahas in
1332 (Panini 5,4.76) and
1375 (Panini 5,4.131).

Regards
Reinhold Grünendahl

Dr. Reinhold Gruenendahl
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
Fachreferat sued- und suedostasiatische Philologien
(Dept. of Indology)

37070 Göttingen, Germany
Tel (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 52 83
Fax (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 23 61
gruenen at mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de

FACH-INFORMATIONEN INDOLOGIE, GOETTINGEN:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindolo.htm
In English:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindole.htm

GRETIL - Goettingen Register of Electronic Texts in Indian Languages
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gretil.htm