epitaph for Friederick Rosen

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Thu Nov 1 19:34:28 UTC 2007

Much thanks to Rosane and Stefan.  A search on the note field right now discovers that the Weber collection has a copy of Sadananda's Vedantasara given by Lassen to Weber.  I think we have some other books that belonged to Lassen in our collections, but I have no way of finding them, for traditionally a mere ownership signature by a famous scholar is not enough to get a note in the LOC catalog record.  We are still working on getting rare book cataloging on all books of Weber's that have significant enclosures or annotations, items which keep popping up after several of what I thought were thorough searches.

Allen

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D., Senior Reference Librarian
South Asia Team, Asian Division
Library of Congress, Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732; fax 202-707-1724; athr at loc.gov
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress.
>>> Stefan Baums <baums at U.WASHINGTON.EDU> 10/31/07 4:28 PM >>>

> a suggestion for s.p.(b.)

How about “Sanscriti Professori Bonnensi” or “Bonnae,” giving:

   Tam merito laudatus et ploratus
   Ab illo non minus lugendo citiusque pariter erepto
   Eximio viro
   C[hristiano] F[rederico] L[assen]
   S[anscriti] P[rofessori] B[onnensi]

Best wishes,