Help with English

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Mon May 21 12:40:14 UTC 2007

I take it Lars Martin means that it is a secondary school (graduating
students around 18), not a university.  If this is so, one might also
call it an Academy, which at least in American English can mean not only
an institution of distinguished research scholars, but a private primary
or secondary school, whether day or boarding. This might also be
appropriate in that, at least by repute, the currciulum in European
academic secondary schools is more rigorous than in the standard North
American "high schools" (secondary schools).

On the other hand, should it include both academic and non-academic
"tracks," High School might make sense.

In any case, High School is two words, and since it is a North
Americanism there is no issue of its being one word in English language
usage elsewhere.

Allen

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D., Senior Reference Librarian
South Asia Team, Asian Division
Library of Congress, Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732; fax 202-707-1724; athr at loc.gov
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library
of Congress.

>>> Lars Martin Fosse <lmfosse at CHELLO.NO> 05/21/07 8:27 AM >>>
Hello Ferenc,

Since it is a föiskola and not an egyetem, you might want to try
something
like

Dharma Gate Buddhist Highschool or
Dharma Gate Buddhist College

You could add Budapest as well:

(The) Budapest Dharma Gate Buddhist Highschool or
(The) Budapest Dharma Gate Buddhist College

Best regards,

Lars Martin

From:
Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo - Norway
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250
Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
E-mail: lmfosse at chello.no
http://www.linguistfinder.com/translators.asp?id=2164