Jewish medical refugees in India (fwd)

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Thu Jul 12 12:42:09 UTC 2007

I forward this query on behalf of a colleague at UCL.
Kindly CC me (d.wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk) in any answers.

Thanks,

Dominik Wujastyk

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carole Reeves <c.reeves at ucl.ac.uk>
To: histmed at listserv.csv.warwick.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:08:01 +0100
Subject: [Histmed] Jewish medical refugees in India

Dear Colleagues,

I am looking for historical material / scholars who have information about
Jewish medics who took refuge in Rajasthan under the protection of the
Maharaja of Bikaner pre and during World War II. They include: Richard James
Weingarten, Chief MO of Bikaner; Fritz Donath (radiologist); Josef Tauber;
Alfred Hollositz (dental surgeon); Max Scheck; Max Henn (chemist); Emma Henn
(nurse); Robert Heilig who was in Mysore and had a distinguished career in
Jaipur; also Dr (?Joseph) Wolfe.

Any information would be most gratefully received.

Dr Carole Reeves
Outreach Historian
The Wellcome Trust Centre
for the History of Medicine at UCL