Kamasutra 2.10.9 and a question of astronomy

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at CHELLO.NO
Wed Jul 11 10:08:04 UTC 2007

Dear members of the list!

The KS 2.10.9 contains the following sentence:

arundhatIdhruvasaptarSimAlAdarzanaM ca | ("and he shows her Arundhati, the
Pole Star, and the garland of the Seven Sages (the Great Bear")

The commentary says about arundhatI:

iyamarundhatI bhagavatI sUkSmA ya enAM na pazyati sa SaNmAsAn mriyate |
("This is the divine Arundhati, exceedingly small. He who does not see her,
he dies within six months.")

I see three different translations of ArundhatI: Richard Schmidt: "Alcor";
Mylius: "die Pleiaden"; Doniger: "the Pleiades".

I can see no reason why ArundhatI should be translated die Pleiaden/the
Pleiades, and neither Doniger nor Mylius give a reason for their
translation. It would seem to me that Schmidt is right, particularly because
of the commentary: Alcor is very small, with its twin star, Mizar, it is
usually taken as a test of minimal vision.

Could any of you explain to me why Mylius and Doniger translate ArundhatI
with the Pleiades? I assume that there must be a reason, but it escapes me.

Lars Martin Fosse

From:
Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo - Norway
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250
Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
E-mail:  <mailto:lmfosse at chello.no> lmfosse at chello.no
http://www.linguistfinder.com/translators.asp?id=2164