Query

diwakar acharya acharyadiwakar at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 3 01:02:02 UTC 2007

>The first is "caamara" at ViDh 50.33. This term has been changed to
>"vaanara" in the vulgate, but my best manuscripts have "caamara". This
>occurs in a list of animals, killing of which entails a penance. So the
>term cannot have the common meaning of a Yak's tail.

Kumaarasa.mbhava I.13 uses camarii in the sense of Yak not a yak's tail, and
the Nepali word for yak, cauri, is derived from this term. So it is quite
possible that caamara is Yak or is closely related with Yak. Is it a male
Yak?

I do not know how old and frequent was cross breeding in the past, but it is
a fact that Yaks are cross bred with cows in Nepal to produce stronger and
enduring hybrids. They get a seperate name but right now I do not remember
the term. Theoretically this can be called caamara.  But I would give
priority to the first possibility.

Diwakar