Query

Patrick Olivelle jpo at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Jul 2 17:49:50 UTC 2007

I have two words, one for an animal and one for a plant, that I
cannot find in any dictionary. They are from the Visnu-Smriti -- so
may have a Kashimiri connection; my suspicion is that they may be
Sanskritizations of Kashimi words.

The first is "caamara" at ViDh 50.33. This term has been changed to
"vaanara" in the vulgate, but my best manuscripts have "caamara".
This occurs in a list of animals, killing of which entails a penance.
So the term cannot have the common meaning of a Yak's tail.

The second is "sRmuka" found in my best mss. as also in a citation
from Laksmidhara's Krityakalpataru. This has been changed in the
vulgate to the more common "mukunda" I cannot find "sRmuka" in any
lexicon.

Both these are the "lectio difficilor" and I want to go with them, if
only I can find their meanings!!

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Patrick