Silk

Fri Jan 19 15:24:08 UTC 2007

Irene Good (Harvard) has extensively researched this:

different moth than the Chinese one, different feeding (Himalayan)
plant, cocoons (kauzeya!) cut and left by moth before "harvesting',
thus no boiling of live moths (how fitting!),  etc etc.

By the way, India silk  (kauzeya = kauśeya ) is clearly distinguished
from Chinese one (ciina-paTTa = cīnapaṭṭa)
See Mbh, Arthashastra etc.

I can provide Iren'e email if you write me privately.

Cheers,
Michael

On Jan 19, 2007, at 8:37 AM, Patrick Olivelle wrote:

> A friend of mine has inquired about a book dealing with the history of
> silk in India. Can any one help? Thanks.
>
> Patrick

Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies, Harvard University
1 Bow Street , 3rd floor, Cambridge MA 02138
1-617-495 3295           Fax: 496 8571
direct line:       496 2990
<http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm>