Fourth International Vedic Workshop

Joel Brereton jpb at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue Jan 16 15:17:32 UTC 2007

Dear Colleagues,

	Our apologies to those who have already received notice or
who have seen this post on another list, but we want to be sure that
everyone is aware of the Fourth International Vedic Workshop, which
will take place in Austin, Texas, at The University of Texas, from
Thursday, May 24 through Sunday, May 27, 2007.  This conference will
bring together scholars from different countries across the world and
provide a forum for them to share their research and to explore new
approaches to the study of the Vedas.  In accordance with the theme
of the conference, "The Vedas in Culture and History," we invite
papers that explore the relation of Vedic texts to the social and
political history of the Vedic period, to religious movements of
early India, to various facets of material and intellectual culture
in India, and to the later traditions of India.  That is to say, we
invite papers not only on the Veda itself but also on the Vedic
tradition and the relation between the Veda and other aspects of
Indic culture.
	We have now established a website for the conference, which
you can access at
http://www.utexas.edu/cola/insts/southasia/conferences/vedic/.  The
website provides complete information concerning the workshop and its
practicalities, such as submission of abstracts, registration, and
the venue for the conference.  In brief, early registration will be
available through February 28, 2007 and regular registration through
May 23.  Abstracts submitted by February 1 will receive notification
concerning acceptance before the early registration deadline.  The
final date for submission of abstracts is March 1.  Registration for
the workshop is now available online through a secure link on the
website.  If you have any difficulty accessing the website or if this
method of online registration is not possible for you, please contact
Joel Brereton (jpb at uts.cc.utexas.edu).  We can arrange to send
registration materials and other information by regular mail.
	We are planning to schedule sessions of the workshop from
Thursday morning through Sunday evening, so we hope that participants
will be able arrive on Wednesday, May 23, and depart on Monday, May
28.  For additional information, you are welcome to contact either
Patrick Olivelle (jpo at uts.cc.utexas.edu) or Joel Brereton at the
University of Texas.

Yours,
Patrick Olivelle and Joel Brereton