Making the Argument for Sanskrit

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at CHELLO.NO
Mon Jan 15 20:42:12 UTC 2007

Dominik Wujatyk wrote:
> What you say, Lars, suggests to me that one has to
> distinguish, and win, the argument that a knowledge of
> classical India (with languages) is relevant (and important)
> for understanding modern India.

This is precisely my point, Dominik. Exactly how this is done, is another
matter. We have to remember that our intended audience (in the end,
politicians who decide university funding) has lost all traces of "Geist"
(at least in my part of the world), if I may be cruel. I don't have much
faith in the DWM argument (the average Scandinavian politician wouldn't know
who they were anyway), a carefully reasoned argument based on the concept of
"instrumental knowledge" seems more promising to me. My own attitude towards
knowledge is primarily philosophical, not instrumental, but I know I won't
go far with that. However, we are not the only ones with this problem - the
university of Oslo practically closed down Italian because there were too
few students. This shows how far the "market thinkers" are willing to go.
The humanities and the social sciences in this country have become a
meat-grinder for people who would otherwise end up in the unemployment
statistics.

Lars Martin

From:
Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo - Norway
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250
Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
E-mail: lmfosse at chello.no
http://www.linguistfinder.com/translators.asp?id=2164