Making the Argument for Sanskrit

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at CHELLO.NO
Mon Jan 15 20:31:47 UTC 2007

Jn wrote:
> > Sanskrit failed, I believe partly for bureaucratic reasons).
> bureaucratic reasons???

If I understood the problem correctly, 1 semester of obligatory Sanskrit + 2
/ 4 semesters of Hindi could not be fitted into the loan framework of the
Statens Laanekasse, which gives loans to students. Courses have to be
standardized, and not exceed a certain length. The Chinese department
managed to get around this rule so that students can do basic Chinese in
three years instead of one year (but I don't remember the details here).

Norwegian students get a loan plus a stipend, but they are required to
finish their courses within a previously determined timeframe, and the
university/Laanekasse are very strict. No "eternal students" allowed.
Standardized time applies.

Lars Martin

From:
Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo - Norway
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250
Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
E-mail: lmfosse at chello.no
http://www.linguistfinder.com/translators.asp?id=2164