Indology and "the disastrous ideology of the 'pure Aryan race'"

Roland Steiner steiner at MAILER.UNI-MARBURG.DE
Tue Jan 9 18:24:11 UTC 2007

Jan Houben wrote:

> I am happy to note that no one less than Dr. Ronald Steiner

Dear Jan,
You are probably refering to me, "Roland", to suggest a contextually
philological conjecture. In that case, I missed the argument involved
here when you say "no one less than", I'm afraid. Is indeed another
more estimated person than myself intended?

> has now  stepped forward to give a clear and convincing answer to
> Dr.  Gruenendahl's first question.

If you don't mind, I would like to encourage you to do as philologists do:

First, re-read and try to understand Reinhold Grünendahls first
question exactly (esp. his last sentence: "where do these relations
surface in indological writings of that period?"). For a better
understanding, it could be helpful to re-read questions nos. 2 and 3,
too.
Second, read your insinuation with regard to Grünendahl's article
exactly ("your well-documented and cleverly argued article liberating
each and every German indologist of the 1900-1945 period from any
possible association with the German government and its disastrous
ideology of the pure Aryan race") in order to understand my response
properly. It could also be advisable to re-read Grünendahl's article.
Finally, you should say that your insinuation has been against the
written facts.
Third, read and try to understand my "step forward", as you say, in
the light of your new understanding once again. To give you an
interpretatory hint: I showed that your characterisation of
Grünendahl's article ("liberating each and every German indologist
...") goes against the written facts. Further, in that email, I said
nothing about where relations between Indologists and the German
government surfaced in indological (!) writings of the Nazi period.

With kind regards,
Roland Steiner