Indology and "the disastrous ideology of the 'pure Aryan race'"

Jan E.M. Houben j_e_m_houben at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 9 16:21:11 UTC 2007

that's a deal!
  satyam eva jayate.
  Greetings,
  Jan

gruenendahl <gruenen at MAIL.SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE> wrote:
  Dear Jan,
There is a nice saying by F. Max Müller (1872):
"Wer nicht der Wahrheit die Ehre geben, wer nicht offen sagen kann, 'ich habe mich
geirrt', in dem wohnt der wahre Geist der Wissenschaft nicht."

The somewhat inadequate English translation (1888):
"Whoever cannot yield to the voice of truth, whoever cannot say, ' I was wrong',
knows little as yet of the true spirit of science."

Our positions being as they are, there may come a point where one of us will have
to say he was wrong. Can we agree to say it then?

______________________

As for the delay in my reply, there is a very profane reason I hesitate to mention,
but I'm confident it will not be long now!

Greetings
Reinhold

Dr. Reinhold Gruenendahl
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
Fachreferat sued- und suedostasiatische Philologien
(Dept. of Indology)

37070 Goettingen, Germany
Tel (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 52 83
Fax (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 23 61
gruenen at mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de

FACH-INFORMATIONEN INDOLOGIE, GOETTINGEN:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindolo.htm
In English:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindole.htm

GRETIL - Goettingen Register of Electronic Texts in Indian Languages
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gretil.htm