Yoga Consultation Call for Papers AAR 2007

Stuart Ray Sarbacker s-sarbacker at NORTHWESTERN.EDU
Fri Feb 16 23:39:10 UTC 2007

Dear Colleagues,

Apologies for cross-posting.

Below I have copied the 2007 Call for Papers for the American Academy
of Religion's "Yoga in Theory and Practice Consultation." The AAR
meeting will be held November 17-20th, 2007, in San Diego,
California. We were greatly pleased by the range and quality of the
proposals received last year, and strongly encourage those
considering submitting a proposal this year on a topic related to
yoga to do so to our consultation. The Call for Papers includes
topics especially of interest to the consultation, though submissions
on other topics will be considered. A list of contacts is provided as
well.

Submissions should be made through the OP3 system, which can be found
at the following link:
http://www.aarweb.org/annualmeet/2007/call/list-call.asp?PUNum=AARPU161

The deadline for submissions is March 1st, 2007.

*****

2007 Call for Papers

Yoga in Theory and Practice Consultation

The consultation seeks papers on the topic of Yoga in Theory and
Practice from a variety of perspectives, including sociology,
anthropology, history of religions, philosophy and theology, and
cultural studies. Contacts are listed for potential joint proposals.
Submissions should be made through OP3. Christianity and yoga (Cleo
Kearns, cmkearns at aol.com); freedom and submission in guru traditions
(Lola Williamson, willill at millsaps.edu); modern meditational yoga
(Lloyd Pflueger, lloyd at truman.edu); celebrating Gerald Larson’s
Encyclopedia of Indian Philosophy yoga volume (Knut Jacobson,
knut.jacobsen at rel.uib.no); gender in yoga (Laura Cornell,
laura at greenyoga.org); yoga in early modern India (Andrew Nicholson,
ajnicholson at notes.cc.sunysb.edu); definitions of yoga and religion
(Jim Laine, laine at macalester.edu); Frederick Smith’s The Self
Possessed (Stuart Sarbacker, s-sarbacker at northwestern.edu); mysticism
and yoga (with the Mysticism Group), and; the categories of "yoga"
and "tantra" (with the Tantric Studies Group).

*****

We greatly look forward to reading your proposals in the coming month.

Best Wishes,
Stuart Ray Sarbacker
Northwestern University
s-sarbacker at northwestern.edu