A few Questions (was Re: Drav. niir & Skt. niiram)

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 20 04:20:55 UTC 2007

Dear Indologists,

Our recent discussion of the interaction between Sanskrit and Tamil
traditions led me to a few questions. I would like to know the current  consensus
opinion, if any, of the Sanskritists regarding the  following:

1. Were the Sanskrit and Prakrit short poem traditions influenced by a
Deccani tradition (as suggested by G. L. Hart) or Tamil literary tradition  (as
considered possible by S. Lienhard)?

2. Was Bhagavatapurana written in Tamil Nadu and what is its relation to
Alvar's bhakti poetry?

3. Was the motif of the hero encountering the heroine while hunting a  wild
animal (as in the story of Dushyanta) present in the Sanskrit  tradition even
earlier?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
S. Palaniappan