dhava/dhavI

Ashok Aklujkar aklujkar at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Mon Aug 27 03:21:45 UTC 2007

Just from recall:

Kathaa-sarit-saagara: vivaada-padavii.m praaptau samau saamaanya-bhuumipau
"Before a court of law, there is no difference between a king and an
ordinary man."

(Note that this principle, articulated in the 13th century and probably
before, did not come to India from British, French or Portuguese law;. With
an inconsequential difference of detail it is being applied to the kings of
modern times -- popular movie actors -- in India right now.)

Nyaaya-ma;njarii:

asmadaade"s ca raagaadimalaavara.nadhuusaram /
mano na labhate j~naanaprakar.sapadavii.m paraam //

There are, as I recall, many more occurrences in the prose part of the NM,
involving notions such as vyavahaarapadavii, smara.napadavii,
manorathapadavii, etc.

A systematic search will reveal that padavii + a verb meaning 'to move' or
'to climb, to ascend to, to mount,' that is, phrases involving imaginary
movement as in pa;ncatva.m gam are not uncommon.

ashok aklujkar

I try not to emend texts, but in the case of the text you have cited I have
a strong suspicion that the original of dhavIm was padavIm, 'path,'
contextually frequently meaning 'level, status'. Pl check the mss.

ashok aklujkar