dhava/dhavI

Himal Trikha himal.trikha at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Thu Aug 23 13:21:53 UTC 2007

Dear members of the forum,

the Sanskrit word dhava designates (as far as I can make out) two
different plants:

1. grislea tomentosa, a hard, blood-red clustered bush
http://www.illustratedgarden.org/mobot/rarebooks/page.asp?relation=QK3498R6817951819V1&identifier=0105

2. anogeissus latifolia, a large erect deciduous tree, 9-15 meters
(sometimes 24 m) used for the production of gum
http://www.krystal-colloids.com/bigghatti.html

I wonder if anyone of you is aware of classical sources mentioning that
the height of anogeissus latifolia is above average?

The background of my question is a passage in the SatyazAsanaparIkSA, a
text of the Jain author Vidyanandin, that states with regard to the
anekAntazAsana, i.e. "Jain philosophy":

tad eva satyazAsanadhavIm AroDhum ISTe.
So far I translate:
"This (anekantazAsana) alone is able to rise up to (being) the possessor
of the true doctrine."

One of the problems with this translation is that for dhava no femininum
ending in -I is attested, neither for the designation of the social
function nor for the plant/s. But as an alternative name for dhava,
namely dhAtakI, is in the femininum, I thought that the word dhavI could
  designate anogeissus latifolia, used as an metaphor for an exceptional
high viewpoint, from which you can oversee the surroundings.

Thank you very much for any suggestion!

With best regards

Mag. Himal Trikha
Institute for Southasian, Tibetan and Buddhist Studies
Vienna University
Austria