Bhandarkar article

Bindu Bhatt bb145 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Aug 7 16:20:37 UTC 2007

Chris Haskett wrote:
> (Cross-posted to H-Buddhism)
>
> Dear All-
>  I have been directed to an article in Hindi by "Bhandarkar" which is supposed to put forth the argument that the admissions of wrongdoing on the part of the king in the A"sokan rock edicts are in keeping with Jain and/or Buddhist monastic formulae.
>
>  I am fairly certain this is going to be by DR Bhandarkar (1875-1950) but Aacaarya-vandanaa (1984), his 'birth centenary volume,' gives only his English language writings in the bibliography.  He doesn't appear to cite the article in his book on A"soka either.
>
>  Does anyone know where I might find this article, or have any notion as to how to go about the next steps in looking for it?
>
>  With my many thanks,
>  Chris Haskett
>  PhD cand., LCA, UW-Madison
>
> ---------------------------------
> Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.

Chris,
Have you looked at the following books?

*Asoka,*

Devadatta Ramakrishna *Bhandarkar*

1969 *4th ed.*
*English* Book Book xxx, 366 p. 23 cm.
[Calcutta] University of Calcutta,

and

*The inscriptions of Asoka,*

*Asoka*, King of Magadha;  Devadatta Ramakrishna *Bhandarkar*;
Surendranath *Majumdar*

1920
*English* Book Book 3 p. l., 103 p. 25 x 19 cm.
[Calcutta] University of Calcutta,

The last chapter of the ist books talks about the Asokan inscriptions
and the sixth chapter also talks about Social and religious life from
Asokan monuments.

I think you may find what you are looking for in either of these books.
Hope this helps.

Bindu