Hindu critiques of astrology / jyotiSa

Michael Hahn hahn.m at T-ONLINE.DE
Fri Apr 13 21:57:44 UTC 2007

Dear Matthew,

The source of the Tibetan quotation is certainly stanza 71 of the Shes
rab sdong bu or Prajnadanda (wrongly) attributed tonNagarjuna. It runs
as follows:

mkha' la skar mkhan dag gis rtsis byas na ||
zla ba dang ni skar ma'i lam rnams shes ||
khyim na mi dang khyim thab log pa dag ||
sna tshogs spyod pa de ni mthong ma gyur || 71 ||

For the Shes rab sdong bu or Prajnadanda see my papers "Notes on
Buddhist Sanskrit Literature. Chronology and related topics" and "Cry
for Help." (Details in the bibliography on my home page)

The stanza occurs also as stanzas 76 of the Gathasataka of Vararuci
(available only in its canonical Tibetan translation). The only Sanskrit
source I know is the much later Subhasitavali of Vallabhadeva, stanza
2302.

Michael

---
Prof. Dr. Michael Hahn