Hindu critiques of astrology / jyotiSa

Ashok Aklujkar aklujkar at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Fri Apr 13 04:26:51 UTC 2007

Tim,

I recall two verses from widely separated sources:

Kau.tilya, Artha-;saastra 9.4.26:
nak.satram atip.rcchantam baalam artho 'tivartate /
artho hy arthasya nak.satra.m ki.m kari.syanti taarakaa.h //

Niilaka.n.tha-diik.sita, Kali-vi.dambana?
aayu.h-pra;sne diirgham aayur vaacya.m mauhuurtikair janai.h /
jiivanto bahu manyante. m.rtaa.h prak.syanti ka.m puna.h //

P.V. Kane, History of Dharma;saastra, vol. 5.1 p. 528 etc. will also be
useful. The index at the end of his vol. 5.2 lists much under "astrology."

ashok aklujkar