Squiggly Underline in Critical Editions

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Mon Apr 9 10:03:06 UTC 2007

>> should underlines (squiggly or other) be considered characters at
>> all?  I think of them as additional information added above the
>> character level (e.g., by a Word processors underline function or
>> an HTML tag).  As such, I am not convinced that they should be
>> part of Unicode at all.  Also, if underlining is handled as a
>> graphical device above the character level, then the problem that
>> Dominik mentioned (oscilloscope effect) would not occur.

It's a good point.  Thinking about document structure, i.e., XML tagging,
then what the text's editor wishes to express, the aakaankshaa, is that a
certain substring of the text has some particular feature.  The "right"
way to express this would be simply with begin-end tags:

  Twas <DoubtfulReading>Brollig</DoubtfulReading>, and the slithy toves...

or even

   Twas Br<DoubtfulReading>o</DoubtfulReading>llig, and the slithy toves...

Everything after this is a matter of mere implementation.  I don't think
there's any right or wrong at the implementation level, just efficiency or
the opposite.

In my Metarules book, this is how the implementation worked.  I simply
marked up the pieces of text with begin/end tags.  (In my case, I was
marking wrong characters whose appearance could be explained by erroneous
transliteration from Sarada to Devanagari.)  It was TeX that "decided" to
implement the printed output by selecting a particular font.  It would
also be possible for TeX to do a standard wavy-underlining, just as
OpenOffice does.  It doesn't really matter how the document rendering
engine manages this.

So I would agree that under-squiggle characters should not be part of a
Unicode character set.  But they can certainly be part of a font.
(Remember, Unicode does not define fonts, but character sets.)