Pre-William Jones Western commentaries on Sanskrit works

Christophe Vielle vielle at ORI.UCL.AC.BE
Fri Oct 20 13:06:46 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues,

In N.V.P. Unithiri, Studies in Kerala Sanskrit Literature, 2004, Calicut
Sanskrit Series 23, in his chapter on "Christian contribution to Sanskrit
literature of Kerala" (pp. 139-140), I read that

* the Jesuit J.E. Hanxleden "well known as Arnos Padiri in Malayalam",
"[who] studied Sanskrit from two Namboodiris from /Sa;nkaraacaarya's
birth-place, Kaala.ti", besides a Sanskrit grammar and a dictionnary (on
which see J.-C. Muller, BEI 1985, pp. 131-134)  as well as résumés of
several Sanskrit works (what I did not know), would also have written "[a]
Latin work on the celebrated rhyming poem Yudhi.s.thiravijaya",

* the Jesuit Paulinus a Sancto Bartholomaeo, "well known as Paulinus
Padiri",  besides his well known works (Sanskrit grammar, etc.), would also
have written "[a] study on Maagha's /Si/supaalavadha mahaakaavya
(Celeberranum poem a Maaga Samscrdanum [sic!])".

If anybody has more information about one or the other of these mysterious
works, possibly lost, I would be happy to hear about it.

Dr. Christophe Vielle
Centre d'Etudes de l'Inde et de l'Asie du Sud
Institut orientaliste, Université de Louvain
Place Blaise Pascal 1
B - 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
BELGIUM
Tel. +32-(0)10-47 49 54 or 58 (office)/ -(0)2-640 62 66 (home)
E-mail: christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be