Grammar. Philosophy and Epistemology

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Oct 13 13:48:53 UTC 2006

The issue of connotation in Sanskrit is an extremely complex one.  I
would suggest the following:

1. In the classical period, Sanskrit cannot be considered a language,
but rather is a style.  It is the same language as the various
Prakrits (which are dialects of each other and of Sanskrit).  A
similar situation (diglossia) exists in Tamil and older Telugu.
Formal Tamil is every bit as different from the various kinds of
spoken Tamil as Sanskrit is from the Prakrits.  In the Sanskrit
plays, characters who speak Prakrit have no difficulty understanding
those who speak Sanskrit, just as even illiterate Tamilians can
easily understand formal Tamil, even though it is very different from
the language they speak.

2. The connotations words have in Sanskrit are influenced, and
perhaps even determined, by the use of tadbhavas and tatsamas in
Prakrits and other languages (including, of course, Dravidian).

3. Because of this, Sanskrit words change their meanings -- or at
least their connotations -- over time.  Styles of Sanskrit also change.

4. Everyone who writes in Sanskrit from classical times to the
present is deeply and profoundly influenced by his/her native
language or Prakrit.  In this regard, Sanskrit cannot be separated
from the other Indian languages.

Of course, Sanskrit writers are also influenced by earlier Sanskrit
texts also.  A good example is the Bhagavatam.  Its writer concocts
pseudo-Vedic forms while using many elements from the Tamil spoken by
Srivaisnavas in Tamil Nadu.

In sum, it does seem to me that to properly understand Sanskrit
usage, it is essential to look at the Prakrits and other Indian forms
of speech and languages.  One should be aware that the meaning (or at
least connotation) of words in Sanskrit is a moving target.  And one
should know another Indian language well.  I rather doubt that paz
and dRz have different meanings, but a glance at Prakrit usage would
surely help out in this regard.  Similarly, to understand Ramanuja,
it is (I would argue) essential that one know Nammazvar and be
acquainted with the extraordinary range and richness of his Tamil
lexicon (e.g. the use of nalam in the first Paacuram of the
Tiruvaaymozi).

This brings to mind one more issue regarding Sanskrit.  Ingalls, as I
remember it, claimed that Sanskrit has perfect synonyms, and that in
this regard, it differs from ordinary languages.  For example nRpa,
raajaa, and bhuumipa all mean exactly the same, while in English
"king" and "monarch" have different connotations (the same for the
many words for "king" in Tamil).  It seems to me that the
connotations of these words are mediated by their usage in other
languages.  A Tamil would understand all three Sanskrit words, but
each would have slightly different weight or degree of formality.
Surely, this is transferred into Sanskrit when that Tamil speaker
writes in that language.

George Hart