Alla.h-Upani.sad

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Wed Nov 29 10:20:54 UTC 2006

In my view, the Allaa Upanisad, which I happen to have read earlier this
month, does not provide sufficient material for an MA study.  It is short,
and is largely composed of mantras that have a syncretic sound to them.

---------------------------
It begins:

divyaani dhatte dhatte divyaani divyaani dhatte/ dhatta ilala ilale dhatte
dhatta ilale/ dhatta iti dhatte/ ilale varu.no varu.na ilala ilale
varu.na.h/ ilala iti ilale/ varu.no raajaa raajaa varu.no varu.no raajaa/
raajaa punar du.h punar duu raajaa raajaa punar du.h/ punarduriti puna.h
du.h/ hvyaami mitro mitro hvayaami hvayaami mitra.h/ mitra ilaamilaa.m
mitro mitra ilaam/ ilaam ilala ilala ilaam ilaam ilale/ ilala ilaam ilaam
ilala ilala ilaam/

It ends:

sa.m tu.s.ta tu.s.ta sa.m sa.m tu.s.ta/ tu.s.ta devaa devaastu.s.ta
tu.s.ta devaa.h/ devaa iti devaa.h//2//

ilaam ilaam ilaam ilaam ilaam/ ilelaakabarho 'kabarha ilelaakabarho
'kabarha ilelaakabarho 'kabarha ilelaakabarho 'kabarha ilelaakabarho
'kabarha.h/ akabarho 'smy akabarho 'smy akabarho 'smy akabarho 'smy
akabarho 'smi//3//

These quotes already comprise about 20% of the text.

It is included in the book "Unpublished Upanisads" edited by C Kunhan Raja
and published by the Adyar Library in 1938, pp.391-392.  There is a
digital copy freely available in the Digital Library of India,
 	http://www.dli.ernet.in

I would say that the Allaa Upanisad is very interesting for the fact of
its existence, rather than for its content.

Best,
Dominik