Uha

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at CHELLO.NO
Thu Nov 23 11:40:15 UTC 2006

Thank you, Richard!

I have received several answers to my question, which point in the two
following directions:

1) grammatical substitution;
2) semantic modification (through inference).

Both these elements would seem to be inherent in the concept of Uha. The KS
commentary uses the substitution of "sun" for "fire sacrifice" as an example
of Uha. It would therefore seem that both "substitution" and "modification"
are possible translations.

As you will understand, my problem is translatorial: I want to find a brief
way of translating the term without having to give complex explanations. So
far, I have settled for "modification(s) of language" in the KS context, the
point there being that people know how to change ritual language without
being grammarians. "Modification of language" would cover both phonetic,
morphological and semantic modifications.

All the best,

Lars Martin

From:
Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo - Norway
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250
Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
E-mail: lmfosse at chello.no
http://www.linguistfinder.com/translators.asp?id=2164