Monotheism (was: Crushing Defeat)

Ravindran Sriramachhandran rsriramachandran at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 11 03:47:13 UTC 2006

lance
  i see that i messed up in my previous mail. while we were asked not to go to 'sivan' temples we were defnitely 'required' to go to 'mariamman' temples and 'karupparayan' temples (the 'perumal' in my neighbourhood had a complex ritual relationship with both the 'rayan' and the 'amman'). as long it was not siva...my mom, who is as 'orthodox' as they come, would even go to st. antony's but never to the 'murugan' and 'iswaran' temples. i remember even being told that as long as one did not go 'sivan' temples one could still hope for 'vaikuntam', regardless of what one did.

  ravi

Lance Nelson <lnelson at SANDIEGO.EDU> wrote:
  The fact that theologically educated Vaisnavas, as Ravindran points
out, refuse to acknowledge Siva as Bhagavan, and avoid setting foot
in Siva temples, seems to support my original point, doesn't it?
They acknowledge Visnu as the single supreme being. Or am I missing
something?

But I do acknowledge, and welcome, the suggestion that not all
Hindus, especially perhaps women, are theologically correct in their
practice. But then the same would seem to apply to Roman Catholic
villagers in Mexico, men and women, for whom the Virgin of Guadalupe
and other saints (who may in fact be stand-ins for indigenous
deities) are worshipped most seriously (and not just "reverenced" as
the official theology would require). My colleague at USD, Orlando
Espin, writes about this. Are we then going to deny that Christianity
is monotheistic?

For that matter, I have also had Vietnamese students who are
astounded and upset to learn that the Buddha is not a god.

Thanks for you help on this!

Lance

--
Lance Nelson