Crushing Defeat of Hindutva attempts to saffronize Californian textbooks

jkirk jkirk at SPRO.NET
Fri Mar 10 20:17:30 UTC 2006

On the other hand, if one takes into consideration the differences between
women's religious practices and those of men in India, and village practices
as well as urban sophisticated practices, we often, even if not usually,
find that village women are very polytheistic in their religious ceremonies,
rituals, and beliefs,  rarely saying that they are "worshipping God (Ishwar,
or whomever)," unless some ideologue has gotten to them. The same, by the
way, used to apply to Muslim village women in Bangladesh, who observed
ritual practices of appeasement to local deities having nothing to do with
Islam (I don't refer to Muslim saints here).
By this time, however, with the highly funded influence over the past thirty
years of Wahhabist Islam in Bangladesh, the villagers have probably by now
changed their ways.
Joanna Kirkpatrick