Question re: Niscaladasa and/or Dadu Mahashay

Prem Pahlajrai prem at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Sun Jun 4 00:51:42 UTC 2006

Dear Indologists, particularly those familiar with Delhi & Kashi,

I am studying the works of Ni'scaladAsa, a late 19th century advaita
scholar and author of the V.rttiprabhAkara and VicArasAgara. I recently
came across a reference in the latter work where the author states the
the text was completed in a village by the name of Kiha.dauli, 18 kos
west of Delhi. A possible alternate name may be Kehrowli. An
introduction to a 1962 edition of this work states that Ni'scaladasa's
guru, DAdU MahA'saya lived in this village and that there is still a
lineage ('si.sya-'sAkhA) functioning there.

I will be in India this summer and am hoping to visit this village, if I
can find it. Has anyone heard of it, or of this lineage?

Ni'scaladAsa is also said to have been active in Varanasi, and Ramsimha
Raja of Bundi was a patron of his. I'd appreciate any leads in this
connection.

Thank you,

Prem Pahlajrai
PhD student