Something wrong with the WSC?

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at UNM.EDU
Sun Feb 26 17:20:09 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 11:56 +0100, Plamen Gradinarov wrote:

> I have honestly tried to harness all my Einbildungskraft to imagine
> how a logical reasoning from a general premiss (atra dhumah tatra
> vahnih) to an individual conclusion (parvato vahniman) can be called
> inductive, and - frankly - failed.

Deductive reasoning is that in which the conclusion is guaranteed if the
premises are true. The Indian inference schema does not offer any such
guarantees. Since it can provide only a probability and not a guarantee
of the truth of the conclusion, it falls into the usual definition of
inductive.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy