flattering metaphors ...

Jean FEZAS jean.fezas at WANADOO.FR
Wed Dec 27 10:02:35 UTC 2006

In modern Nepali*, the word loTe** (meaning 'carrier of the loTA') is commonly used as an equivalent of the french 'lèche-cul'. The loTA is the water-pot made of copper used for ablutions after defecation***. The idea, it seems, is that the flatterer cleans (or helps to clean) the flattered of the stinking (and, in the hindu context, extremely impure) remnants of his activity.

J.F.
*RL Turner, dictionary of the nepali language p. 562 sv loTA renvoie à lohoTA (ibid. 563b) 'A small metal water-pot'; ** The final -e is used in a contemptuous manner in Nepali (cf. sAle, etc.); *** Defecation is ritually obligatory for a hindu before the other occupations of the day; the use of water for purification after 'answering the calls of nature' is regulated by the smRti texts (Manu, etc.).