flattering metaphors ...

Jan E.M. Houben j_e_m_houben at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 23 13:23:11 UTC 2006

The following request reached the Indology
Committee, I forward it to the list.

*** *** *** *** ***

Dear Committee,

I am a Ph. D. candidate at Columbia University,
Italian Department. I am
writing a dissertation on Dante's Inferno and I
would need the help of
the scholars of your forum. As you know in
Dante's Hell we find very
explicit images and expressions. I would need to
know if in Oriental
languages (especially Sanskrit) you find any
equivalent of the vulgar
contumely addressed to flatters that we find in
all Europena languages,
which associate the act of flattering to
excrements (brown noser, leche
cul, lame culos, Arschkriecher etc.) After a long

search I found a carme
from Catullus (98) which uses the expression
"culos lingere" applied to
a "verbosus"  man. This is a great piece of
evidence that the expression
existed in Latin in association to flattery and
that it is indeed
ancient. But I don't know if any similar
expression exists in Greek,
Sanskrit or Oriental languages. Sanskrit would be

of the highest
importance for me. Do you happen to know about
the existence of a such
an expression? Any help would be most
appreciated!!!!!
Thank you very much in advance.