Saraswati

Harsha Dehejia harshadehejia at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 14 09:21:04 UTC 2006

Friends:

In one of the Puranic myths an account is given of how Saraswati was pursued by demons and she hid in the water and when the demons entered the water she hid in a tree and finally to save herself from the demons asked that she be transformed into a flute and a kalam (pen) so that the word would be safe.

Can anyone help me identify this myth and tell me which Purana it is from?

Season's Greetings.

Harsha
Prof. Harsha V. Dehejia
Professor of Indian Studies, Carleton University
Ottawa,ON. Canada.