Name of Tibet (Mahacina)

John C. Huntington huntington.2 at OSU.EDU
Wed Aug 9 15:29:14 UTC 2006

John C. Huntington, Professor
(Buddhist Art and Methodologies)
<http://huntingtonarchive.osu.edu>
Department of the History of Art
The Ohio State University
Columbus, OH, U.S.A.

On Tucci's identification of Mahacina as Tibet: At least the 12th
Buddhists of eastern India and Nepal understood that Mahacina was
China, there is a depiction of Mahaacina Mañjugho.sa in Cambridge
1643, which while Newar demonstrates a vast knowledge of the shrines
and major images of north and eastern India. It was originally
published by Alfred Foucher about 1920 burt I do not have the
complete reference here (at home). Accordingly, I conclude that the
story of Manjushri residing at Wutai Shan was known by this time.
the name Mahacina Manjusri also occurs in the Svyambhupurana and his
vast journey from China is still reenacted by the oiling of images of
the Manjusri Pada (to comfort him after his long journey) to the
present day.

All the best

John