A Garuda Purana question

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 21 14:48:01 UTC 2006

The passage is clearly related to this one, from the uttarakha.n.da
of the Vaayaviiyasa.mhitaa (in the "Sivapuraa.na)
10:67c--71:

a.s.tadhaa lak.sa.na.m praahurmama dharmaadhikaari.naam //
madbhaktajanavaatsalya.m puujaayaa.m caanumodanam //
svayamabhyarcana.m caiva madarthe caa.mgace.s.titam //
matkathaa"srava.ne bhakti.h svaranetraa.mgavikriyaa.h //
mamaanusmara.na.m nitya.m ya"sca maamupajiivati //
evama.s.tavidha.m cihna.m yasmin mlecche .api vartate //
sa viprendro muni.h "sriimaansa yatissa ca pa.m.dita.h //
na me priya"scaturvedii madbhakto "svapaco .api ya.h //
tasmai deya.m tato graahya.m sa ca puujyo yathaa hyaham //

The last verse of this is quoted, without attribution, by Jayaratha
in his commentary
on Tantraaloka 4:203.

Cf. this, from the 12th ullaasa of the Kulaar.navatantra:

na me priya"scaturvedii madbhakta.h "svapaco.api vaa |
tasmai deya.m tato graahya.m sa tu puujyo hyaha.m tathaa || 27 ||
vipra.h  .sa.dgu.nayukta"scedabhakto  na  pra"sasyate |
mleccho.api gu.nahiino.api bhaktimaan "si.sya ucyate || 28 ||

While I am sure Professor Aklujkar's interpretation is correct, I
have come across one passage where the phrase has been reused by a
redactor who, oddly, seems to have misunderstood it or understood it
differently. Towards the end of the tantraavataara pa.tala (1st or
2nd) of the unpublished Viiraagama, the sources I have seen seem
corrupt, but I think that the text probably read something like this:

a.s.tavi.m"satibhedena "saivabheda.m vidhiiyate|
ete.saa.m sa.mkara.m caiva na do.saaya prakalpate|
diik.sitasya sudhiirasya "sivabhaktiratasya ca|
tasmai deya.m tato graahya.m traivar.nikamihocyate|
adiik.sitair na "srotavya.m na deya.m yasya kasya cit|

which may mean:

``The "saiva division [of knowledge] is taught divided into 28
[principal scriptures].  Mixing up [the ritual teachings] of these
[28] does not create problems for one who is initiated, steadfast,
devoted to love of "Siva.  To such a person one should give ["Saiva
scripture]; from such a person one may receive ["Saiva scripture].
This [teaching?] is here [viz. according to the "Saiva view] taught
to belong to those of the [top] 3 var.nas. It should not be studied
orally by non-initiates.  It should not be given to just anyone."

Dominic Goodall