Oak and the Tribe of the Buddha

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Wed Sep 28 16:13:12 UTC 2005

As is well known, 'Shaakya' is a patronymic, meaning 'descendent of
Shaka'.  The word 'Shaka' is a proper name, referring to the tribe, and
may not have a Sanskrit etymology. Nothing points to an oak tree.  Since
'shaka' also means the same as 'shak.rt', one probably doesn't want to go
further into etymologizing the Buddha's title.

DW