Oak and the Tribe of the Buddha

jkirk jkirk at SPRO.NET
Wed Sep 28 18:42:13 UTC 2005

In addition, this reply was posted on the Buddha-L list:

"...it seems to me that Logan has landed in a muddle by
assuming that s"aakya is derived from s"aaka, and then assuming that
s"aaka is a terms that refers to oak.

There's no evidence that I know of for such a use. S"aaka is a word
that can be used to refer to vegetables, fruits, greens, and teak
(according to Apte, it's also used to refer to the S"iri.sa tree--a
kind of acacia). The term s"aaka can also be used as an alternative to
s"aka, the word from which the s"aakya in S"aakyamuni is held to
derive. But the fact that the same word can be used to denote two
different things -- here a plant, there a group of people -- doesn't
entail that one of these things is named after the other. And this is
a good thing, given that the word s"aka is used in the Atharvaveda to
refer to dung."

Joanna