Govinda Diksita

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Wed Sep 14 10:26:07 UTC 2005

Am Dienstag den, 13. September 2005, um 21:58, schrieb Dominik Wujastyk:

> In Raghavan's NCC, vol 6, p.198, the entry on Govinda Diksita makes
> reference to an article as follows
>
>   For a traditional account of his life see IHQ. II.220-41.
>
> That's the Indian Historical Quarterly.  But I've looked at IHQ 2, and
> there's nothing there about Gov. Dik.  There *is* something about him in
> vol.6, according to the global index, but - drat - those pages are
> missing from the Cambridge UL copy of IHQ that I have been working with
> today. But the page numbers given for the vol.6 reference are not 220--41,
>  and somehow I don't think it's the same reference.
>
> Does anyone know the correct reference for an article giving a trad.
> account of Govinda Diksita's life?  This Govinda is the one who was a
> minister at Vijayanagara, then to the Nayak court at Tanjore, in the
> sixteenth and early seventeeth centuries.  He wrote a work on music, the
> Sangitasudha.

Just for the record: IHQ vol. 4, pp. 563-567 contains an article by C. S.
Srinivasachari: "Progress in South Indian epigraphy". On pp. 566-567 the
author shortly deals with the Tanjore Nayakas and mentions: "Details of
his [Govindadiksita's] life are given in the Sahityaratnakara by his
son ...]". This refers to Yajnanarayana(diksita): Sahityaratnakara.

Peter Wyzlic