Supernormal Powers in Ancient Indian Traditions

somadeva vasudeva somadevah at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 1 17:50:57 UTC 2005

Dear Brad Clough,

Numerous siddhis are described in most "saiva revealed scriptures,
and there exist early exegetical works treating this topic too. There
exist schemes of classification too, such as uttama-,  madhyama-, and
adhamasiddhi.

The frequently encountered list of eight "yogic" siddhis
(a.nimaadaya.h)  is usually taught under the name a.s.tagu.na, for
succinct definitions of these see K.semaraaja's
Svacchandatantroddyota  to 10.1073.
See also Kira.natantra 58.52--60, Paraakhyatantra  14.93--96
(recently published with a  complete annotated translation By D.
Goodall in Pondicherry).

Besides these "well-known" siddhis "saiva scriptures teach a vast
number of more specific attainments, a complete listing of types and
sources might be of little use if the context is not taken into
account.  Quite a bit of the material is readily available in print
in the KSTS and the IFP/EFEO series from Pondicherry (including
translations).

Somadeva Vasudeva