source of Sanskrit half-;sloka in Hindi piece

Arlo Griffiths arlo.griffiths at LET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Thu Nov 3 14:04:55 UTC 2005

Dear colleagues,

A graduate student in my department is studying the following theatre
piece by .Thaakur Jagmohan Si.mh (1857-1899): "Huqqevaale kaa
naa.tak", published in .Thaakur Jagmohan Si.mh Racnaavalii 1. 2001.
Raaypur: Chattisga.rh lok sa.msk.rti anusandhaan sa.msthaan (written
c. 1880; unpublished during his lifetime).

At a certain point in the dialogue, a wise man cites the following
half-;sloka to prove that dharma and devataas are no longer what they
used to be:

kalaud.r.m;sa sahasraa.ni vi.s.nusti.s.thati mediniim-bhuutalecaa

The word division is as given in the text. Does anyone understand how
to read or correct d.r.m;sa, which I presume must be separated from
kalau? Does anyone understand bhuutalecaa, or at least the caa part?
Does anyone know the source of this (half) verse?

With thanks,

Arlo Griffiths
Instituut Kern, Universiteit Leiden
Postbus 9515