Fw: [RISA-L] Myth of the Rooster of Dough

jkirk jkirk at SPRO.NET
Wed Mar 9 16:02:39 UTC 2005

Since I'm interested in folklore, I took the liberty of cross posting this
query to this list. Hope that's OK. Anybody have any answers?
Joanna Kirkpatrick
======================
----- Original Message -----
From: "Lisa Knight" <liknight at maxwell.syr.edu>
To: <risa-l at lists.sandiego.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 8:35 AM
Subject: [RISA-L] Myth of the Rooster of Dough

> Greetings!
>
> A colleague of mine has asked for information about a myth which someone
among you might have an answer to:

> The Indian playwright Girish Karnad, in his latest published play, _Bali:
The Sacrifice_, makes use of this myth of a rooster made of dough that can
be traced back, he says in a prefatory note, to the ninth-century Sanskrit
epic, _Yashastilaka_, by one Somadeva Suri.  The myth, or some version of
it, is also to be found in two other texts:  an eleventh-century epic (that
he does not name) by Vadiraja, and a thirteenth-century Kannada epic titled
_Yashodhara Charite_ by one Jana.  My question to the list is this:  where
can one find an English translation of the narrative of the myth, and/or its
meaning, or context, especially in relation to the debates between Jainism
and Vedanta, if that is indeed its proper context.