Etymology of honorific particle jI

Valerie J Roebuck vjroebuck at MACUNLIMITED.NET
Thu Jun 23 16:07:17 UTC 2005

I remember being told something similar but not exactly the same,
viz. that it came from jiiva, "life", "soul", so that you were
literally saying "my father's soul said".  Not an impossible
development, when in Sanskrit you could very well say "my guru's feet
said..."

Valerie J Roebuck
Manchester, UK