Etymology of honorific particle jI

Hans Henrich Hock hhhock at EXPRESS.CITES.UIUC.EDU
Thu Jun 23 13:59:50 UTC 2005

Yes, it is accepted; and it has a beautiful counterpart in
Urdu and Persian _jaan_, also meaning 'life' as well as
being used as an honorific/term of endearment.  The Hindi
(etc.) _jii_ might well be a calque of the Persian word.
The root is also contained in Hindi _jii-naa_ 'to live'.

Cheers-ji,

Hans Henrich Hock