Ramayana

Jan E.M. Houben j_e_m_houben at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 29 11:27:35 UTC 2005

See also van Daalen's response:
Wiener Zeitschrift für die Kunde Südasiens, vol.
XXXIII (1989): 25-43 "Is Vaalmiiki's Sanskrit a
specimen of vernacular Sanskrit?"
In:
"Two notes on Raamaaya.na textual criticism" in
Adyar Library Bulletin 50 (1986): 402-417.
van Daalen applies his method to the Aadiparvan
of the Mahaabhaarata and finds that, in contrast
with the Raamaaya.na, the "irregular" (i.e.,
non-standard) forms are here "much better
anchored".

The current availability of electronic versions
could be a starting point for new studies on the
problem of standard/non-standard forms in the two
epics, and of the corruption vs. polishing
theories, making use of van Daalen's method (with
due modifications).

The issue was further addressed in S. Pollock's
contribution/introduction in vol.s I-II-III of
the Raamaaya.na translation (ed. R.P. Goldman).

JH

--- Richard Salomon <rsalomon at U.WASHINGTON.EDU>